Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

Risk aversion.............

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Petrolhead Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you mainly wear when you are on your bike?
leather everything
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
Kevlar stuff
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Jeans, t-shirt, you know
37%
 37%  [ 3 ]
Chanel no.5
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
What's laying by the side of the bed
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 8

Howie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Risk aversion............. Reply with quote

Just read Kevin Ash's column in the MCN & thought "I know, I'll start an arguement on the Diff'rent Strokers forum".

Basically, Kevin Ash (obviously lost for any kind of new topic) is now banging on about what we consider safe clothing for riding a motorcycle (again Laughing ).

Now I put myself in the 'I'll wear what I bloody well want' category' & put a lid on because its the law.

So have we become a nation of over nannied non-risk takers?
Or are we just being sensible now that we actually survived our reckless teen years & don't want to push our luck?
Or are you, like me, still happy to go out on your 'death machine' in just the bare minimum Twisted Evil

Have a poll................
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as I get older I get less and less bothered about what impression I make so I thought about this one and what I've been out wearing lately...

Ride out on the KMX on and off road - i had my garage overalls on with a padded gillet, looking proper Ricky Carmichael... Not !

Then up to the shop for milk and cigs in my Adidas jogger bottoms and a fluffy Guiness fleece jumper on.. (Sometimes in my sandals which in the past I've left behind at the junction after having to stop and set off again.. Ha ha)

Then if its really cold and I'm going some distance, I'm usually in Jeans and Leather Jacket Thumbs Up

I nearly chose Chanel No 5 but thought that would look like I wasn't taking the poll seriously... Or that I was just a big girl !
Now good job you hadn't put one of my 70s collection bloke smellies such as Brut, Tabac, Blue Stratos, Denim, hi Karate etc because this would have taken the vote! Cool
Howie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Brut, Tabac, Blue Stratos, Denim, hi Karate

And lets not forget Old Spice.................

I remember being about 12...ish & getting these very odd presents for christmas, what would a 12 year old want with a gift set of Hi Karate?

Do I smell bad? Do I need a shave? I'm only f***ing 12 I thought to myself, for f***s sake.

No wonder our generation grew up with confidence problems Laughing
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... But on the back of the original Hi Karate Talc it said.."Warning, if you use Hi Karate you must be prepared to defend yourself from the opposite sex"

When i was at school I thought that was bloody brilliant !!

If they said that nowadays, it would suffer lawsuits for false advertising etc because everyone is so serious and PC Confused
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chanel ? Old Spice ? Hai Karate ? Shocked

You lot are on the wrong forum. The only DS-approved mens fragrance is 'Champion by Avon' circa 1974. Here's my bottle, one owner from new.

Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AVON... They certainly have a lot to answer for when it comes to cheesy fragrances for men in the 70's and 80's with their retro bottles shaped like cars, motorbikes, birds, mobile phones and even a calculator...

Does the Champion one smell as good as the little AVON beauty...?
The great musky smell of a smoking room...

Then who can forget Lentheric and Dunhill, oh yes classic bloke smellies
Lets go out smelling like a pub dinner...or oily metal fixings?

Then you get the naughty, almost should be banned strapline for Jade East.. I'm told it smells like rape (ooher.. Only in the 70's Shocked )

StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, back to the original question.

Normally I wear an Arai Astro, Dainese leather jacket and gloves, ordinary denim jeans and DM's.

I've got leather jeans too but, erm, they must have shrunk or something, it's very odd... Rolling Eyes

I've got a 1980's Frank Thomas leather suit kindly donated to so I could do trackdays, and some Alpinestars boots. But they're for my rare track outings only.

Occasionally, for a quick spin round the block, I might go without gloves or without the jacket. Don't lecture me, it's my skin and none of your business.

Once, during a nice summer day of TZR fettling, I was halfway round my test route when I realised I was wearing no gloves, jacket or indeed helmet. Oops. Embarassed
yanw

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I normally wear my Revitt jacket, trews and gloves, mainly because I am a an unskilled d1ckhead and I ride all year round. I cannot ride without gloves as it doesn't feel right (to me) but I am looking for a full suit so I can do some Classic Trackdays.

But that's my choice. It's your life, you do as you choose. I'm not going to moralise and lecture on at you.

(This reminds me of a post on the PS facebook page where a bunch of people were moralising about going quick on the road and how you should only "go fast on the track". It was a hard fight not to post "Go drown in your own p155 you fluro-wearing t***s" ) Twisted Evil
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I’m going further than “round the block” on a test ride I wear either a HG leather jacket or, if it’s cooler, an Alpinestars fabric waterproof one with a removable lining, and whatever shoes I’ve got on. Arai helmet and Alpinestars short gloves. If I'm going away on my hols on the bike then leather HG straight leg jeans zip to either jacket, with traditional boots, or a recently acquired pair of Gore-Tex and suede short boots.

On a “round the block” ride almost anything goes, but rarely shorts, never flip-flops, always gloves. I've had tendon damage in my hands and find having fingers and thumbs to be very useful.

I’ve got wet weather gear for holiday touring, but don’t normally ride in the wet unless I have to go somewhere, and the bike is my only transport.
wolfman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like many on here for a short test ride its whatever i'm wearing plus helmet and gloves. If i know its going to be a steady ride normal jeans and rst fabric jacket with armour and whatever footwear sometimes me bike boots.
For longer rides and quick blast to the local bike gatherings full leathers and boots gloves helmet.
I always feel more in control and can move about better with jeans etc but feel less vulnerable in my full leathers.
i didn't buy full leathers till i owned my first vfr 750 in mid nineties up until then always jeans and paddock jackets never lost much skin even though i crashed quite regularly as i used bikes all year round snow, ice whatever .
mikee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These days if I have a destination as opposed to a noon about ,it's a textile jacket jeans ,usually bike boots ,arai rx7 Astar gloves

Out for a summer hoon , leathers and the rest

Occasional trundle paddock jacket ,jeans trainers

Mike

Ps anyone know where you get sex panther from ?
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikee wrote:

... anyone know where you get sex panther from ?

Well when I last spoke to Howie... He said that 60% got it from Firebox or Amazon.com

I wouldn't know myself ... Cool
Ho ho ho
Howie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sex panther, Laughing

Just had to look it up on google, sorry I'm not up with modern films Embarassed

So sorry TS, can't play along with that one Sad

But YES, you can get it from Firebox Very Happy
Kickstart

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Really can't go for a ride without gloves. Just makes me feel a bit :pukeright: .

Normally I land up with full textiles on, but mainly because I am a wuss and land up feeling cold too easily. Running in to town then probably just a leather jacket, probably with boots.

Lid wise I have a Shoei but have a minor problem there. Older ones fitted me fine but the new ones don't and I am struggling to find anything that fits me now.

Got full leathers but they only tend to be used for top speed runs and drag racing.

All the best

Keith
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Petrolhead Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: