Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

Dt 125 lc or rd 125 wiring help needed!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gillinghampaul

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Dt 125 lc or rd 125 wiring help needed! Reply with quote

I have a 125 lc engine in my bike but the wiring is a mess,

Iv put some pictures in and if anyone can identify anything of any help that would be great, im looking to rebuild the loom minus the bullet connectors and chocolate blocks but want it all in place and working first

Any help at all would be really appreciated

Gillinghampaul

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These come from the flywheel side, no plug just chopped
Gillinghampaul

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A close up of some of the loom, any one reconise any plugs? Or wire colours?

I know its a big ask but failing this and if i still cant get it running ill have to get a loom made for the bike and im guessing that really will be big money!
Gillinghampaul

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And whats this bit!
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm very far from a wiring genius, but it's amazing how quickly it can start making a bit of sense armed with a multimeter and a copy of the wiring diagram (preferably one you can write on).

Slightly more complicated here, what with using bits from different models and having non-standard connectors, but ultimately you don't actually need a lot to make it run. Lights, winkers, neutral switches and the like are all luxuries you can work out later.

Good luck !
Gillinghampaul

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just getting it to run shouldnt be too bad but to rebuild the loom i need everything in place then i can redo it all

I have my multimeter and a ysr wiring diagram but the loom looks to be half dt half ysr and i havnt got a dt diagram that i can match up to whats mostly there!

I think it might be a case of build the loom from scratch starting as you say by just getting it running first, but i know ill just not bother with lights and have it daytime only!

Im starting to make a bit of sense of it now but still no where near enough!
veroli1994
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAUL,
my rd125lc is in bits in my garage,i am near brighton if you want to drive over and have a look.

Mike.
rgv250m
rs250
mb5
nps 50
or50
rd80mx
ke100
rd125lc
mbx125fe
gas gas ec200
Laverda 650
749r
zx7r-p6
yzf750r
vfr800
gsxr750wt
nuda 900r
tl1000s
fzr400rrsp
vfr400rn
cbr400rr
zxr400l5
gsxr400m
big one
Gillinghampaul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the offer it really is appreciated, but would you believe i had the same offer a few hours ago from a guy that has 3 in various states of rebuild!
And he is a 20 min drive from me, if still no luck there i will definately take you up on the offer though!
Ill even bring biscuits Laughing

The wiring is slowly starting to reveal itself to me, i have started by locating the earths then the indicators, from this i have the warning lights and will start to trace back from there to find my headlights and sidelight, this should give me the tail light and the brake light!

Thats some done but the wires coming from the crankcase cover are causing a headache! There are 7 of them? Two are the same colour and look to have been joined deliberately, two others are the same colour aswell but look seperate and there is no plug just been chopped! Oh the joys, so it will be more multimeter work to see if i can figure where they go

Does anybody know what i need to test on the cdi ti determine which wires go where? Or even if i can tast this?
2TV owner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most yam's use the same colours to do the same things regardless of the bike so have a look at some diagrams online even if they are not for your model and try and 'pair' the circuits down so that it simplyfies things.

try starting with the battery and ignition switch and then incorparate the cdi/ignition circuit. Once it's running it's easy. Most of the wires from your flywheel are will be for the charging circuit. Usually white.
Gillinghampaul

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iv got everything figured apart from whats coming from the flywheel,
I have the neutral switch as this was easy!

But im not sure on the rest, the colours do not match anything i have diagrams for, i have a ysr diagram a dt diagram and an rd diagram, all different, i also have a tzr 125 to compare it to but again its different,

The closest i have is the rd diagram, it is the only one with just a 4 wire cdi like mine and two seperate regultors but i still have too many wires coming from my generator! There are 2 that appear to come from a small pick up? Coil
And it looks like a brown a white and something else from the 3 main coils.

Ill get some pics up soon of what i have and maybe someone can just say this goes here etc! Laughing

So far the 3 yam 125 engines i have seen have all been different so this is proving to be interesting! Ill be a yam 125 expert before long Embarassed
2TV owner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just had a look at an rdlc diagram:

3white go to regulator.
1 black is neg/earth
1 white/red goes to white/red on cdi
1red from flywheel goes to red on cdi
1 brown from flywheel goes to brown on cdi
1 orange/green goes to orange/green on cdi

CDI should also have a black - neg/earth
orange goes to coil
black/white goes to engine kill switch which ulimately earths this wire to stop engine

any help??
Gillinghampaul

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont have 3 white wires!
Ill get a photo of what iv got, but i know the diagram you have with only one regulator, mine has 2 with 2 wires each!
2TV owner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just been looking for some more info and it would apear that some early dt125's had an ignition control unit (ICU) seperate to the cdi. when you put a picture up just let us know what engine you have ie dt/rd/tzr and if you have the matching cdi for it. It might be easier to source a matching stator/flywheel and cdi from the same bike if you know what i mean.
Gillinghampaul

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine has 34y on top and i think its an lc2 i have a diagram for this type of engine and it does show just a 4 wire cdi with no other controls,
But i could have an earlier engine with a different loom?
It has a round cylinder head not the square type or the squared of type if that helps?
2TV owner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

34y should be a 1986 dt lc. That's what I found on a search! So you need to check on a ft diagram what cdi it has. I think your cdi is wrong for the engine. Dt and rd/tzr seem to be slightly diffrent on the wiring. Might be worth trying Dt forum or 125 sportsbike forum for a bit of clarification. Are there any
numbers on your cdi?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Yamaha All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: