Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

My R1-Z resto
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobbyboy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a knackered TDR250 crank repaired, which I think would be pretty much the same setup as yours, by PJME last year.
Complete rebuild including 2 new webbs cost £340.
So there's your first price guide........ good luck Shocked
howARD

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a complete 2ma engine on eBay for £350 from Gecko racing , I just bought one off him that had been standing a while, crank is buggered but rest good and standard bores.
SP_BOTT

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot I'd posted on here, bit of an update. I had the crank done by norbo and cost £300 Shocked in the end, but basically a new crank. Should learn that these bikes need regular checks to keep on top of them.

So after the stripdown, decided it wouldn't be a standard rebuild, as getting a bit bored of having to have the correct bolts/brackets etc etc

I had a go at polishing the rims after they had been started and just left, by the previous owner.

Yesterday, got round to fitting a new set of Alpha 10's I bought on offer a couple of years ago. just fitted the discs so i can get them in the frame and back on the workbench.

Frame picked up a couple of weeks ago, daughter picked candy pink, but they couldn't do that, so after loads of delays decided on this, looks way better in sunlight, can't see the flake in the pics unfortunately.

Gonna sort a few more pics out later for those still interested.
fletch

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!!
Thats rather bold Very Happy good on ya for going against the grain and doing something different to a standard resto, what colour you doin the bodywork? Am deffo interested to see what it going to look like Very Happy
SP_BOTT

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit more of an update, got on quite well with it this last few weeks.

Engine and cradle painted, then fitted to the bike, a bit of a pain, as I got it fitted in the wrong order. Also bought a new head for it with not pitting.

Can't quite see it here but the ahock came up really well, I'll see if it still needs a new one, after a test ride and MOT.

Got a lot of the ancillaries fitted, looks like I need a new RH switch, as mine is cracked across the housing fixing,

Basically where I'm up to now, just started the bodywork today, replacing some missing lugs and clips as usual. Rad painted and fitted.

Tom Mac
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SP_BOTT wrote:
Bit more of an update, got on quite well with it this last few weeks.

Engine and cradle painted, then fitted to the bike, a bit of a pain, as I got it fitted in the wrong order. Also bought a new head for it with not pitting.

nice job so far, but you'll need to change the four nuts that secure the head down either side of the spark plugs. These should be domed nuts with copper washers underneath as the studs they are secured to run in the water jacket
fletch

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats looking really good Very Happy
SP_BOTT

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have now changed the head nut for the domed nuts, thought it was a bit strange, as all the domed nuts were on the barrel studs which I'd not come across before.

Started to rub down the bodywork, got the panels all done and coated in plastic primer, (needed a few repairs to the tins clips and a couple of lugs) finished getting the clearcoat off the tank yesterday, to find a small hole at the bottom of the tank.
I've got to repair it as there aren't any others around, unless I try Yahoo Japan.
Off to work tomorrow to see if someone can braze it up. Peed of slightly Sad

I'm just waiting on some caliper rebuild kits, and then it's nearly finished, wiring/headlamp etc still to do, and fill with fluids, a bit behind Howard, and now seeing his exhausts, I find myself trawling fleabay, for something similar.

Got some nice cans to go on, but I need to make an adaptor up first, as the bolt pattern is all wrong on these ones.

Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well smart !! Cool Cool Cool
SP_BOTT

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit the bullet and had a go at the paintwork, had done some a good few years ago. Have spent ages filling, sanding, priming, rubbing etc etc

Not come out too bad so far for an amateur, lots still to do as it's only the first coat, got a couple of wrinkles from somewhere as well now.

haven't worked out a 'design' yet, but apparently it's going to be quite simple, with just a couple of flashes of colour.

R1Zman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SP_BOTT wrote:
Bit the bullet and had a go at the paintwork, had done some a good few years ago. Have spent ages filling, sanding, priming, rubbing etc etc

Not come out too bad so far for an amateur, lots still to do as it's only the first coat, got a couple of wrinkles from somewhere as well now.

haven't worked out a 'design' yet, but apparently it's going to be quite simple, with just a couple of flashes of colour.

looks good for an "amateur"
ps for wrinkles I borrow the wife's oil of Ulay, but once you are over 50 I'm afraid you are flogging a dead horse Rolling Eyes
SP_BOTT

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R1Zman wrote:

ps for wrinkles I borrow the wife's oil of Ulay, but once you are over 50 I'm afraid you are flogging a dead horse Rolling Eyes

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Nice one, I'm a doomed man then, got anything stronger than 'Ulay' do they do an industrial version Smile
SP_BOTT

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite totally finished, but you'll get the idea, got braided lines still to fit, top with fluid, and brakes should be complete. Made the alloy spacer for the cans at work (it's a bit rough, but can be machined/finished later) might have a go at starting it this week.

Really pleased with how the paintwork ended up, did it all in the garden when we had good weather last week. All from rattle cans, and finish is really nice, not really needing to cut and polish yet, but the tank does need a little more work to remove some orange peel.

And best of all, daughters over the moon, having a bit of 'hands on' doing some of the decals and paintwork too Smile

Howie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that, I like that a lot Cool

Crikey, I think I need to get on with my 1kt now Laughing
fletch

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good Paul Very Happy
Was bit dubious when you said the colours you were gonna use but it looks great Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Yamaha All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: