Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

SDR200 'The pup'
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ianboom

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: SDR200 'The pup' Reply with quote

SDR200 is now known as the 'pup' as if it was left any longer it would be a right dog!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have 3 options
1. Make road legal and ride it
2. New tyres, c&s etc and clean it up
3. Full on resto

Reckon on number 2 as I want to use it and not be scared to take it out in the wet!

So, can anyone advise me on what parts are from another bike?
I need discs, c&s, tyres, headlamp, left footrest, chainguard, indicators, ign lock, pet cap, bar grips (was going to fit renthals but they're 120mm and the stock are 115mm??)
Should i get the bodywork resprayed (will make the rest of the bike look tatty) or carbon wrap it?
That's all for now!
Cheers, Ian.[/u]
superfour1300

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi ian
im a new member and I also have an sdr200..looking the same info as you..
im going to strip and rebuild mine..want it mint but a bit different..will hope to fit upside down forks and will have it painted in the old white/red stripe tz colours
sean
DSBBadmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

superfour1300 wrote:
im a new member and I also have an sdr200

Might have to create a specific SDR200 section on here at this rate. Shocked

Seriously though, it's great that we've provided somewhere for all you SDR owners to hang out and help each other. Welcome Sean. Very Happy
Ianboom

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all.

Another question when somebody in the know reads this, what does the throttle cable connected to the ypvs servo motor do?
I'm a fan of premix on 28 year old bikes!

Rode the pup today, she's quite pokey, but vibrates a lot.spoilt by my LC!

Ian.
Peter A

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

this extra throttle cable is connected to the oilpump... it will give extra oil in high rpms...

Some friends and me restrored 4 SDRs the last years. If you have much vibration please have a look at the engine-mountings... especially the front mount is mostly worn out at this bikes. The problem is the very long chain which alwas want to pull the engine to the left side. We are now working on a third engine mounting in the rear (you find similar on japanese websides) to stabilise the engine.

Bye

Peter
Ianboom

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

Any idea what ratio the oil mix is boosted too? I want to run premix.

Looked at my engine mounts, it's hard to see play, but i grab the head and the base of the motor and there seems to be a fair amount of play! Are the mounts replaceable?

Emailed Borut of Zeeltronic about a replacement ypvs controller/cdi. He says it's doable if there are any takers?.

Cheers, Ian.
2TV owner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian,

I have also spoken to Borut re the Zeeltronic as i had problems with my YPVS ecu. There is a thread on here about a year ago. I eventually decided to go with the ignitech STPS unit which does the same job. The Zeeltronic put me off a bit as although the kit was cheaper (slightly) you then had to but a programmer for about £60. The Ignitech uses windows software thats free and you just plug your laptop in and away you go!. Ignitech did not have a base map for the sdr but just loaded the unit with a TZR/DTR125 map as a starting point. It was all plug and play and didn't need any wiring mods doing. I just emailed Jan at Ignitech some pictures of what i had and he just supplied the unit ready to go. Like Borut at Zeeltronic, very helpful.

what is the problem with your YPVS? mine had a dodgy motor which had wiped out the original ypvs controller, caused me no end of problems!

Justin
2TV owner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also like many SDR owners who realise their engine mountings are worn out i did some searching and managed to get 2 nos rear engine mountings but will need to do something with the fronts.

If you have a look at yamahasdr200.com do a translation on google and you will find a really good japanese site that do all sorts of stuff and info, there is a genuine yam parts list for the bike. Some of the translations are a bit crap but it makes fun trying to work out what they mean. They do a one piece rear engine mount and a kit for the front bushes. also if you like trick stuff have a look at Tosh-tech web site. Some serious big money stuff for lots of two strokes, but they have a fantastic front engine mount replacement idea.
Peter A

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

in my experience is the Connection between the Front Engine Mount and the bracket coming from the Frame. We did some new bushings for this place...

The bushing Kit from Toshtec is out of Production because of Cracks after some kilometers...

Peter
Peter A

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter A wrote:
Hi

in my experience is the Connection between the Front Engine Mount and the bracket coming from the Frame the problem. We did some new bushings for this place...

The bushing Kit from Toshtec is out of Production because of Cracks after some kilometers...

Peter
2TV owner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter,

Do you have some pictures of this repair or do you have dimensions of the bushes that you had made up. I assume you had to make them on a lathe. Did you encounter any problems??
all help is apreciated

Justin
Ianboom

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have no cdi or ypvs problems, but the bike i just bought had a new cdi and i want to have a fall back plan in case it fails again.
Also, i found one of the biggest gains on my ypvs engined lc was altering the ypvs opening time which can easily be done on the zeel. I can mod the yamaha controller with a dil switch, but worry in case ibdamage it whilst modifying it!

Ian.
Peter A

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian,

my opinion in this case is: Just drive the SDR !!! I find it near to perfect. The only changes that will make it better is the front caliper and stiffer springs for the fork...

Bye

Peter
2TV owner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian,

I have managed to obtain a spare CDi box so i'm covered on that one!. I had no choice with th YPVS as my ecu was faulty so had to go down the aftermarket route.

Justin
Peter A

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Justin,

this is our bushing - very simple but effiective!

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Yamaha All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: