Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

AA membership renewal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Petrolhead Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: AA membership renewal Reply with quote

Since an incident in 1987 when I was left stranded at the side of the road with a dead GSX-R750 and no clue (before mobile phones obviously) I've had an AA card tucked in my wallet. With a garage full of temperamental old bikes, a 'classic' Mini and the wife's been-to-the-moon-and-back hatchback, we've called 'em out a few times over the years and they've been pretty good overall. They've also come to the rescue when other people I've been with have had problems, eh Darin and Karl ? Wink

So I'm happy to pay for a bit of peace of mind every year, but what pisses me off is the ridiculous way they penalise their loyal members at renewal time. They suck you in with a cheap introductory offer, you go 12 months without calling 'em out at all then they boost the price by 50-70% to renew. You phone 'em up and have an argument and eventually they knock some money off and away you go again.

For the last few years (and on the off-the-record advice of one of their patrolmen) we've played the game by cancelling the renewal each time and starting a brand new policy at the introductory rate again, alternating between having the policy in my name or my wife's. It's stupid though, and it creates extra costs for them having to print all the new paperwork and cards again. Bang Head

This year they said they were upgrading us "at no extra cost" to 'Silver Membership' which includes all sorts of additional worthless bollocks that no-one would ever want. But the price has gone up from £100 to £170. Shocked

I can't be bothered any more so I've started a brand new policy with the RAC instead. And yes, it's at a cheap introductory rate... Laughing
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my own policy now, "free" with my premium bank account, but not had cause to use it yet. Maybe you can just alternate between the AA and RAC each year...?
bobbyboy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been with the AA for many years too, and watched the renewal price climb each year.
Now I check with the RAC/GreenFlag/etc on their introductory rates, then for the price of a phone call to the AA, I tell them I'm off to the opposition, and they always price match to attempt to keep me, and they've worked everytime so far!
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My covers free with Lloyds bank premier account and covers breakdown in UK and Europe. It also covers holiday insurance for me and family until kids 18 etc. Ok it costs me a bit extra each month on the account but it's been good value when you take into account the free holiday ins etc.

It covers me, whatever I drive car, van, bike etc and has come in very handy when my mopeds (ahem erm hmm ...also ridden by the kids...) stop and won't go Wink
yanw

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had the same with the AA. They wanted £270 this year. We found a better quote, phoned them up and all of a sudden it was under £100.

In our house, the amount that companies (like insurance) charge you extra to renew over that of a new customer is called "tw*t tax". It's the tax charge they apply because they think you are a "tw*t".
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yanw wrote:
We had the same with the AA. They wanted £270 this year. We found a better quote, phoned them up and all of a sudden it was under £100.

In our house, the amount that companies (like insurance) charge you extra to renew over that of a new customer is called "tw*t tax". It's the tax charge they apply because they think you are a "tw*t".

Clap Clap Clap
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They forgot what their business was years ago. Vehicle breakdown repair/recovery is all anyone wants.

AA credit card ? AA domestic plumbing and electrical emergencies ? What's next - AA broadband and wine club ? FFS.

On the whole they're pretty good at the original core business. AA man fitted a 'temporary get you home' throttle cable to the Mini 6 years ago and it's still working better than anything British Leyland fitted as new... Laughing
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, that original incident I mentioned - my GSX-R suffered the infamous loose oil filter problem that eventually led to a recall. Dumped 4.5 litres of hot oil all over the rear tyre just as I was about to cane it through my favourite set of twisty bends. Shocked Luckily I managed to slither to a stop without falling off or blowing the engine.

As I stood there in the middle of the slick wondering whether to start pushing it the 15 miles home, a bloke in a pickup stopped. A plank appeared, we loaded the bike into the back and he took me home and refused any payment. Not Worthy I've never forgotten that and now I try to stop and help others if I can, especially now I've got my own van.
Gillinghampaul

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say i was helped once as a youngster that had run out of fuel, guy on a bike stopped and went and got me petrol, all he asked me to do as repayment was stop for any bikes i see broken down to see if i can help and i always do now!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Petrolhead Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: