Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

R1-Z front suspension question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
smokestack

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: R1-Z front suspension question Reply with quote

I picked up and R1-Z last week and the fork seals were leaking so they had to be done. Now my question is does anyone know if the internals are different in the two legs because when I was removing the front guard one leg was pushing down under spring tension. The bike was off the ground with the wheel out so when I had the guard off one leg was sitting about 50mm lower than the other so longer. I didn't really think much of it because the oil was leaking etc. When I put them back together one spring and spacer sits down far enough into the leg to get the cap on without any pressure but the other spring and spacer sits flush with the top so the cap has to be pusher down hard.
Is this correct or has someone been in there before getting creative. I cant see how that would work if the same amount of oil is in each leg. All the springs and spacers are the same length too unless one leg is longer or course.
Tom Mac
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the internals shoud be the same in each leg.
There were in the R1Z forks i rebuilt a few years ago.
mboddy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are the same.
Better pull them apart and make sure you have the same number of pieces in each fork.
ie. You don't want two top out springs in one fork and none in the other.
smokestack

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spot on Mark the lower spring was missing from one fork, it was actually under the leg stuck to the nylon bush luckily I bought two sets of seals. That's what I get for not checking, I just stripped enough to change the seal and never stripped to check all the parts. No surprise really considering the pistons that were in there Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Yamaha All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: