Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

My KR250

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScottaKR250

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: My KR250 Reply with quote

Well it seems the old KR250 isn't as uncommon as I had always thought. I've had this one for about 8 years now (in pieces most of that time) and have just got serious about puting it back on the road.

As you can see, it's nearly done, but unfortunately it's in need of a top end rebuild. I've made a few minor cosmetic mods, as well as changing the gear lever arrangment (which I'm quite proud of).

I have another one and a half KR's for parts, and eventually a customised naked version inspired by Tono http://www.geocities.jp/fake_dimension_kr_fanatic/ But that's a long way off yet.

Lastly, I'd like to say that I DON'T blame Tim for my collection of KR's. In fact, I'd like to thank him for inspireing me to get the bike finished (which may actually happen one day soon) Wink
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great - if we keep getting more KR owners on here I'm gonna change the site colours to green and white ! Laughing

Neat gear-linkage Scott. Cool

Wish I could inspire myself to finish my own KR-based special. Rolling Eyes Tono's naked KR is brilliant and I look forward to seeing yours, but I've got some other ideas for future KR projects... Wink
ScottaKR250

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I'd post a progress report on the top-end rebuild.
Have just sourced a pair of mint barrells, which are currently being carefully ported, and new pistons and rings are ready to pick up, but I can't find a gasket set yet (may have to make my own/recycle Sad ). The man porting my barrells used to own a KR himself, and has warned me that with the porting and high comp head, it may have a habit of lifting the front wheel in any gear below 4th! Twisted Evil Cool
I'm also picking up a steering damper to fit to it tomorrow, and plan to widen the angle of the handlebars (to make it a bit more comfortable and stable in corners), by filling the mounting holes in the top triple clamp, and tapping new ones (I'll let my engineer do that part I think). It's either that, or clip-ons, and clip-ons will be too hard to find.

Let me know what you think.

will post further updates when it's back together. Very Happy
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you find new pistons and rings ? Shocked Get some for me will ya ? Wink

Gaskets should still be available - get the part-numbers off my site and ask your local Kawasaki dealer, or try Z Power. If you wanna make your own (not the head gasket obviously, but it might help you find an alternative), try these templates scanned from the genuine items (click on them for the full-size versions) :

ScottaKR250

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pistons are aftermarket jobs (I'll give you the details when I pick them up). I could probably get you some but the shipping to the UK would be muder (remember I'm from Oz).
I'm going into my local Kamakasi dealer in the morning armed with those part numbers (thanks for that) and will hopefully be able to order some in (probably from Japan). Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Kawasaki All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: