Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

SDR 200 Fuel tap repair

View previous topic :: View next topic  
2TV owner

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: SDR 200 Fuel tap repair Reply with quote

I'm just waiting for the parts to come to overhaul the fuel tap on the SDR and will post more pics when i do it. This is the tap in question

http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u504/justinwaite1969/fuel%20tap/IMG_0312.jpg

hope you can see the link, how do i get the image to appear in the post??

Justin
SP_BOTT

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On your photobucket page go to the RH side, where it says you can share the photo, hover over the bottom of the 4 boxes, the one that starts with [img] and right click in the box, it then changes yellow and comes up 'copied' then paste it into the thread. Obviously best to have two windows open.
2TV owner

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's it thanks!
2TV owner

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I got my SDR the vacuum fuel tap has never worked, it was just 'on'. I finally decided to try and sort it out. My thinking was it was probably just the rubber components inside that had seen better days.

After searching ebay and sending many messages to sellers to get them to measure what they had, all came back with different sizes to mine. And none of them listed an SDR kit. Tourmax seems to be the main supplier of these replacement kits but they do not list an SDR. I found what I thought would do on Norbo's Excellent RDLC Crazy site but he also confirmed that the YPVS 350 kit was a different size, thanks for looking Norbo!

Another search on the net, (how did we find stuff before the internet?) I came across an online seller called NRP Carbs based in Manchester who believe it or not actually listed a kit for SDR! A bit pricey at £39 inc postage but what choice did I have. Ill probably get a load of replies now telling me what to use for half the price.

I ordered the kit and it took a while to come and when I chased it they said that they were just double checking the kit before they despatched it as I can only assume they may not have sold one before. Anyway it came next day after the chase call. So I stripped mine down and fitted it, just got to put it back on the bike and check it although it seemed to work 'on the bench'.

Arlurt has done a really good post on here about how the tap works but I have attached some pictures showing the inside as well. I'm sure its probably the same as most TZR RD type taps but its here anyway. As I had never done one I thought there may be others out there in the same situation as me that just wanted to see all the bits etc.
back view of the tap with the five screws to undo

I have checked it and it now holds vacuum and seals as it should, just got to get it back on the bike to check fully
gammaguy21

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pics and good info. Thumbs Up

I looked for a while for a repair kit for my tzr 1kt (same as the SDR?). I saw the kit from NRP, with the shipping and exchange it put it close to a brand new petcock from Yamaha. In the end that's the route I went.
Will be interested in knowing how well the kit works after after a bit. At some point I'm sure we won't be able to get new petcocks from Yamaha and will eventually need a rebuild kit.
2TV owner

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to report that the repair was successful if a little expensive.

When i first put petrol through it the tap was really tight, almost too difficult to turn. I drained the fuel back out of the tank and removed the tap and gave it all another good wipe round with a rag and a splash of petrol. After rebuilding it now works a treat!

So all i can say is, highly recommended. I have heard reports of cheap kits not being any good but this one wasn't cheap!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Yamaha All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: