Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

RC cars/bikes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Petrolhead Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: RC cars/bikes Reply with quote

Anyone into RC cars ? Or even RC bikes ?

I had a couple of electric cars back in the early 90's, just for messing about in the street or park. Never got into proper racing or nitro cars though. Popped along to a retro RC meet a couple of weekends ago and it's inspired me to dig my old cars out and get 'em running again. And buy more. Rolling Eyes

Always fancied one of the 1990's Kyosho 1:8 GP bikes (RGV/NSR/YZR500). Anyone tried one ? They always looked a bit clumsy because of the gyro mechanism needed to help keep 'em upright. Technology's moved on though, have a look at the video of the 1:18 Mini-Z MotoGP - rear wheel steering and wheelies ! Cool
Terminaterre

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Venom GPV-1 RC bike with brushless conversion. I'll go back to the brushed set up as my driving skills are... well... limited Burnout
I also own a HPI baja 5SC SS (1/5 scale, 26cc engine, kit vesion).

With the original bodywork just painted:

And how it looks now:

Gillinghampaul

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those 1/5 scale cars are nuts! I would put a picture up of it next to a coke can or something so people here that have never seen one can appreciate the size, they use upwards of 35 cc engines dont they?
Terminaterre

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engines up to 70cc are available, even twin engines set up
http://youtu.be/6mF4pya5BR
yanw

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I would say is that I would never-ever-ever engage with a company called "Nitrotek" again http://www.nitrotek.co.uk/. I have also read they trade under ProModels.co.uk, ProRcCars.co.uk, ProRcPlanes.co.uk and ProRcHelicopters.co.uk.

I bought a car for my boy (well, he saved his birthday money, so technically he paid for it). When it arrived you couldn't alter the throttle speed (it was flat out the moment it turned on). They took ages to reply to me so I couldn't return it under distance selling rules, didn't answer my support question properly ("how do you adjust/reset the speed controller module") and then I had to pay to return it to them.

They had it for ages until I sent a recorded delivery letter and then they charged me a tenner to get it returned, with the same f*****g fault . I then managed to get a Mastercard chargeback which they objected to but I won (I had third party assessment the goods were faulty from a local model shop who couldn't get it to work either).

They collected the goods and then sent me letters threatening legal action unless I paid up £80 as "the goods were faulty but it wasn't a manufacturing fault". I had to contact the Citizen's advice bureau for legal advice which I followed. I've not had anything back from them but it's only been a couple of weeks. They whole thing took nine months to resolve and cost me over £30 in costs to get a refund on a £80 purchase.
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: RC cars/bikes Reply with quote

StrokerBoy wrote:
Always fancied one of the 1990's Kyosho 1:8 GP bikes (RGV/NSR/YZR500).

I've been managing to resist buying a brand-new NSR complete with a big box of hop-up upgrade parts advertised on a RC forum I'm on. Last night the price dropped to a point I couldn't ignore... Wink
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: RC cars/bikes Reply with quote

StrokerBoy wrote:
StrokerBoy wrote:
Always fancied one of the 1990's Kyosho 1:8 GP bikes (RGV/NSR/YZR500).

I've been managing to resist buying a brand-new NSR complete with a big box of hop-up upgrade parts advertised on a RC forum I'm on. Last night the price dropped to a point I couldn't ignore... Wink

Can't get the link to work... So its even more intriguing ... Rolling Eyes Wink
Haggler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had this for years always wanted to get the lightened fly wheel for front wheel and the uprated motor as they then wheelie on the power aparently. Amazing how much grip is available scraping the crashbars is easy Razz

DSBBadmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: RC cars/bikes Reply with quote

Top-shaggy wrote:
Can't get the link to work... So its even more intriguing ... Rolling Eyes Wink

Links updated. Smile
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, that's one of the original ones Haggler ! Not Worthy

The one I've bought is the later re-issue of that. Think the mechanicals underneath are the same, though they've changed the bodywork to look like a later NSR (Doohan not Gardner). The rider is articulated too so his knee sticks out when cornering. Laughing

The seller had a pile of upgrades too which are all included : alloy gearbox, alloy swingarm, alloy sprockets, full bearing set, lightweight wheels and high-grip tyres. Cool
Haggler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah back in the days when we didn't worry about money and credit card was king lol must try and see if I can get any life into the old battery Laughing
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.. Proper toys Surprised)
andyw114
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son as a engine model car and i have a helicopter. Both sound great on throttle. I can't fly or drive them, only crash them. My brain and thumbs don't comunicate fast enough. Confused
Gillinghampaul

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ts, they are actual chan and sprocket driven too! Amazing little big boys toys!

Iv wanted one for a long time, they do newer ones now too, moto x and road and nitro powered!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Petrolhead Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: