Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

The Pink LC

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Mac
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: The Pink LC Reply with quote

Although not to everyone's taste this LC has been around in roughly this spec for the last 15 years.

It was originally built by a guy called Brett to use as a display bike at Woodford motorcycles in Essex.
He Sold it to Scottie (reservoir cogs) in the 90's
Scottie kept it for about a week before selling to a freind of mine, Terry from Links Motorcycles in Bedford.
At that time it had a pro-am nose fairing and a standard rear wheel and footrest hangers and the pipes exited 1 each side.
Terry fitted clipons and rearsets, removed the Pro-am fairing and replaced the Gibson exhausts with Lomas pipes. It was not used a lot and sat in the showroom of Links Motorcycle for many years untilthe shop was closed and then it was transferred to a garage, where it sat for a few more years.
As a regular customer and then employee of Links Motorcycles I saw the LC nearly every day Shocked and was alwyas envious as it was far better than my standardish LC at the time.

Terry eventually sold the LC to a Chap called Stuart who cleaned it up, had the tank repainted as it has rusted through and then sold it on via ebay, ending the auction before I could contact him Crying or Very sad

6 months later it appeared back on ebay, with a contact number and I began the crusade to buy it. I got my way and the seller sold to me off ebay for £1400.
I borrowed a van and drove down to surrey to collect it and ended up doing a full circuit of the M25 as I called in on one of the LC CLub local meets on the way back.

Since Stuart had sold the LC it had gained a guliari set and a Samco blue coolant hose. I ran it as it was until I was made redundant and then had to reluctantly sell it on.
Step forward Scottie (reservoir cogs) who after seeing it on the LC Club stand had been hassleing me to sell it back to him for ages, so back to him it went.
I then went and set up Links Engineering and thought I would never see the Pink LC again.

How wrong I was Laughing

6 months later and Scottie has stuck it on ebay. luckily it didn't sell.
another 2 weeks later and its back on ebay with prices for the individual components Because if it didn't sell he was going to break it Shocked Evil or Very Mad
I couldn't let that happen so the piggy bank was raided and i bought it back, for £5 less than I sold it for Very Happy

Unfortunately the rear wheel was now knackered and I thought it was time for a bit of an upgrade for it.
With assistance from Nigel Kimber (NKracing) a front wheel was fitted with a cushdrive and then fitted in place of the rear wheel.
This meant I had a rear disc on a standard wheel Very Happy and also meant I needed a rear master cylinder to operate it.
A set of Nigel's rearsets solved that.
The Original Gibson pipes were dug out of Terry's loft and money exchanged hands and then it was off to Stinkwheels/Gibson Exhausts for them to cut and rewelded in GP style.
I then added various parts from my own range of stainless steel parts.

It was completed just before the 2006 BMF and was exhibited on the LC CLub stand. Since then It took part in the Annual Aircooled RD rally in ashbourne but the gear lever shaft vibrated off on the rideout and it was on the LC CLub stand at the CMM show in stafford in October.

Sadly it now needs stripping down and repainting as the 15 year old paint on the engine and frame is flaking off and it is starting to look a bit scruffy. It has been suggested that a stripdown would be an ideal time to get it repainted into better colours but I Like this colourscheme as it is totally unique and it's not something you can easily miss Very Happy

Cheers
Tom
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The Pink LC Reply with quote

linksengineering wrote:
With assistance from Nigel Kimber (NKracing) a front wheel was fitted with a cushdrive and then fitted in place of the rear wheel.

I've seen and admired this bike close up a couple of times, and never even spotted that... Shocked Shocked Shocked Cool Laughing
Tom Mac
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's amazing how many people don't notice the rear disc. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

just got myself some standard barrels, to replace the Stan Stephens Stage 3 tuned ones that are on there.
Hopefully it should be a little more usable on the road (when i eventually get around to stripping it and sorting it)

cheers
Tom
greengoatchoker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure about the paint otherwise great bike . might be interested in the pipes if you change them . whats the swinger from ?
ScottaKR250

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DON'T CHANGE THE COLOR SCHEME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cool
Trully, it looks awsome!!!!
Swapping the rear wheel for a front wheel is a stroke of genius, and the pipes look great.
Is that a CBR swingarm? Shocked and is it a 250 or 350?

And please, post up some pics after the rebuild.
greengoatchoker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IS THE SWINGER A GULLWING NC29UNIT ?
Tom Mac
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the swinging arm is a one-off built by NWS in the early 90's

got no plans to change any of the major bits of the bike, it just needs the paintwork tidying up a bit Very Happy
2Smoke

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can agree it looks just as horrid in the flesh!! Laughing

soz tom Embarassed
Tom Mac
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2Smoke wrote:
I can agree it looks just as horrid in the flesh!! Laughing

soz tom Embarassed

Evil or Very Mad Very Happy
reservoircogs

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what was i thinking off selling it..... Shocked
Tom Mac
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update time:
not good news I'm afraid. The pink LC is now Broken up and spread across the uk. sadly the debts from last year's house move have meant that a sacrificae had to be made and this was it.

at the moment I still have the swinging arm and pipes, rearsets and wheel with disc so it will probably make another appearance on one of my other LCs.
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I saw the bits were up for grabs. Shame really. Crying or Very sad

At least it was you who broke it and not reservoircogs - he'll be gutted he missed a chance to get his spanners blurring again ! Laughing
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pink LC bodykit for sale on THAT SITE... Sad
reservoircogs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You animal! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Yamaha All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: