Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

RG250 Restoration
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crofty
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: RG250 Restoration Reply with quote

Hi guys, I thought I'd share with you, the progress on my MKlll Gamma restoration, don't worry bout the tail unit or seat, I've NOS ones tucked away ready to fit!!
Its been a pile of bits for about a year now, so it seems like real progress to me to get it back on its wheels!!

The frame has been repaired/straightened/powder coated, the forks replated and fully overhauled internally, NOS rear shock with fully refurbed shock linkage. I'm struggling to get the fairing bracket straight tho....thats being a right bitch!! And it can't be powder coated til its sorted...

I just love these clocks....Real old school!

NOS Speedo and Tacho with a replated mounting bracket in the correct Olive Drab.

Even the back of the Clocks are mint!

http://www.rg250.co.uk
belfastgeoff

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wheels look very cool Very Happy
rg250 screamer

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i cant beleive those clocks man! i thought mine were in good condition! are you doing anything special with the engine?
Crofty
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure yet, the engine had plenty of `ZING` to it before tear down, there was no sign that the thing has been raced, therefore, tuned, so I'll see how she runs. My old Gamma barely cracked 105 MPH (or my mates Walter Wolf Import) despite road tests of the time quoting 116 or so!! I'll get it ported if its no quicker than my old one...... Twisted Evil

walter

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an old copy of Performance Bikes from 1986 with an article about a Stan Stephens stage 2 tune for the RG Mk 3. Power up from just over 32bhp to over 38bhp. Standard exhaust and carb jetting, some mods to the reeds, but still using standard Suzuki items, skimmed head, cut down cylinder liners and various porting mods.
Crofty
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Stan was, and it seems, still is the man!! Amazing how Suzuki claimed 45 BHP for these, I remember the press said they were well down on the claimed output. Weren't the press fleet 500 Gammas supposed to have been optimised to get the most out of em?

rg250 screamer

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is very confusing i think the press is wrong, my rg250 'special fairingless type thing' is completeley standard apart from a +1 mm rebore, yet first gear still lifts the front end up when the power band kicks in, i think that takes a little more than 32hp or whatever pb said. or am i just rufusing to believe the mighty rg is a gutless as a modern 125? someone correct me!!
Crofty
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my FG model that was 2 years old was not able to show as much as 110 on the clock, my mate had a WW Import, and we were nose to tail down the A6, doing exactley the same speed, and flat out. at that....now although I'm no lightweight rocket jockey, (oooh errr!!) my mate had a knack of getting unfeasable speed outta things, his bike was no faster.

rg250 screamer

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm this is intreaging! im gonna get a dyno readout because i still think the press is getting confused with yamahas rd which was about 32hp, i mean my gamma keeps up with my vfr nc30 till 90 when it about tops out
Crofty
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzuki claimed over 120MPH I think, didn't they? The test figures suggested 116 MPH or there abouts. No doubt tho, they went like the proverbial off a shiney shovel uptp bout 80 or 90, like you say, but soon runs outta steam.
Any way, I'm looking forward to kicking her up, and smokin' off into the sunset.....

Crofty
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Footrests, airbox, battery tray and loom on......really need to sort out the fairing bracket to get the wiring tidied up. Waiting for some new stainless allen screws to get some bits fitted properly. I wont fit the NOS tail unit til its nearly finished, thats gonna be some while yet!!

rg250 screamer

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i guess will still be interested to see what the dyno reads! your bike is looking mint i have to say! its so nice to see al the intrikit areas ie. around the master cylinder all looking so gunge free and clean!!
Crofty
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like this you mean?? LOL Yeah, it gets pretty cruddy round here, so it is nice to see it lookin clean and overhauled. The best work is always let down by rusty fixings....these are all either new ( genuine Suzuki), Bright Zinc Plated originals, or Stainless Steel. Interestingly, the shock linkage bolt, that connects the link to the frame was badly bent....a sign of heavy abuse.

Craigside_Pete
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in January 1984 "Mechanics" had the WD as their front cover bike and made a point that it only developed 32 "real" bhp "...not brochure horse power" and a top speed "upright" [!] of 103.3mph.
Testers verdict on value : "Expensive, really needs a 350 motor"

A speed of 120, on stock gearing, you'd be well past 9000rpm with the power dropping off!

I guess the brochure figure was at the crank from a tuned, pre-production special! [Which Bike? in September that year, of course, spouted the full Suzuki line of 45bhp!]

It looks lovely and clean, Crofty. You not tempted with replacing the rear seat with a hump and loosing the nasty pillion pegs?
Kickstart

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crofty wrote:
Weren't the press fleet 500 Gammas supposed to have been optimised to get the most out of em?

Yes, and Suzuki also got caught out with a tuned RG250 as a test bike when the TZR250 came out. The RG had RG500 pistons to give it a bit more capacity. Suzuki said it was a private project of one of their mechanics.

All the best

Keith
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Suzuki All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: