Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

RG250 Restoration
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rg250 screamer

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i never realised they had that little power!! its really quite surprising! has anybody here ever had a set of spannies fitted to there rg? i ask because later this year im hopin to send my 'special fairingless type thingy' to allspeed (gibson exhausts) iv been quoted 350 for a set of mild steel with alloy cans and it was just to good to be refused!! it'll be the first time iv played with the engine other than building to standard, obviously il have to upjet etc etc so i would love to hear from anybody whos done similar
aden
Crofty
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd fancied some spannies too, Micron were more popular, they did a black chrome finish which was nice. If you do get em, you have to post the optimum carb settings in case anyone else is tempted.... Laughing

A contact you might use is Camcoat in Warrington, they can add a tough black (or silver if you wanted) ceramic coating to ur pipes, Matt or Gloss I think.

They are gonna do mine, at least til I find a NOS RHS pipe (I have a left one...)

I'll also need new silencers....mine are shot!

http://www.rg250.co.uk
Crofty
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craigside_Pete wrote:
Back in January 1984 "Mechanics" had the WD as their front cover bike and made a point that it only developed 32 "real" bhp "...not brochure horse power" and a top speed "upright" [!] of 103.3mph.
Testers verdict on value : "Expensive, really needs a 350 motor"

A speed of 120, on stock gearing, you'd be well past 9000rpm with the power dropping off!

I guess the brochure figure was at the crank from a tuned, pre-production special! [Which Bike? in September that year, of course, spouted the full Suzuki line of 45bhp!]

It looks lovely and clean, Crofty. You not tempted with replacing the rear seat with a hump and loosing the nasty pillion pegs?

The pegs will stay, tho have you felt the weight of the (steel) rear footrest hangers!!!???? Stooopid, they make a point of light weight production and fit those. I have a used, genuine single seat conversion that needs painting. Dream Machine or Toxic Crow will get the job of a full respray....

rg250 screamer

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah sounds good i was thinking of nickel plating them as its tougher than chrome but i might just save for stainless as i love the welded finsh of raw stainless!!
Crofty
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titanium looks nice after welding too.I remember now, the pipes on the bike when I bought it were perforated with rust, I rang Gibson to ask how much to replace the front pipe and 1st cone of the spannie......that came to £200!!! I later found a good used set.

Oh, and he said the stock gamma spannies work well too, reckoned they were quite good for original fitment.

Last edited by Crofty on Tue May 20, 2008 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Craigside_Pete
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crofty wrote:
"have you felt the weight of the (steel) rear footrest hangers!!!???? Stooopid, they make a point of light weight production and fit those. I have a used, genuine single seat conversion that needs painting. Dream Machine or Toxic Crow will get the job of a full respray..."

It's almost like they ignored the road bike bits that they knew the racers would junk straight away Laughing

On the WD the front frame/instrument/headlight cradle is a wonderfully light alloy affair which on the WE became a steel boat anchor...guess it saved them a few Yen production cost on each unit.

Personally I think all these bikes look better with the single seat...I guess you are stuck with needing something to hang the tail cans from ? Those stock pillion mounts just look so over engineered.
Crofty
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I considered having some made in alloy, most modern bikes have alloy hangers, so the must be strong enuff, but couldn't be arsed in the end!! LOL

rg250 screamer

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i welded my end cans on! now they just hang from the rear pipe mounts i have no rear foot rests but for mots i just chuck a single seat conversion on there! alloy footrests would be very strong im an ali welder and have often thought about replacing the stock parts with nice ali parts! my under tray is a nice 2 piece aliminium affair!
walter

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Performance Bikes performance facts supplement (April 87) quotes the tested top speed of the Mk3 as 116.8 mph. They have measured proddie racer RG's at over 120. They tested a proddie racer with allegedly only a 'mild porting job' and got 124 out of it. Once I get my FH up and running I think I'll send a spare set of barrels and cylinder head to Stan the man and see what happens.
I've ordered a set of alloy cans from Gibson exhausts, I was trying to get original replacements but only managed to get the right can, the left is discontinued. Well at least the long type can with the prominent rivets is, wonder if the short one is still available, probably not. Discontinued by the same company that still makes one crank pin, but not the other.
Crofty
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping to get NOS mufflers too, Walt, didn't realise they were no longer available......bugger.

Classic Mechanics have a nice RG250 feature this month, by the way.

Crofty
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are how the wheel tapes under flash light!! Like summat outta TRON!! Remember that??

Last edited by Crofty on Sat May 24, 2008 7:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
Crofty
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you all approve??

There are no pistons in the caliper, and I'm waiting for some new bolts, but we all do things like this dont we!?? Lol.... Helps to motivate ourselves I guess...

Craigside_Pete
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. ah yes, Tron...alway fancied a "light-cycle" Embarassed
Never realised Mk3's had stand bungs welded to their rear forks! I'll need to keep my eye out for one of those!
Crofty
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those were a little modification I thought I'd add. A practical touch to an impractical bike!!

Craigside_Pete
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL - I thought I'd have noticed them before, if they were standard - very nicely modified : your standard of fit and finish is very good.

Any other mods?

Back in 83/84 when I Ihad my first WD, I did occasionaly use my Gamma for the odd bit of cross country DR work when the main bike was being serviced...does that help qualify it as a practical bike?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Suzuki All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: