Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

RG250 Restoration
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crofty
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for you comment. I doff my hat to you sir, anyone who Dispatches on a Gamma deserves respect!! Lol The bike is otherwise standard, for now.......

http://www.rg250.co.uk
Craigside_Pete
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craigside_Pete wrote:
Which Bike? in September (1983), of course, spouted the full Suzuki line of 45bhp!

Having read the June 2008 Classic Mechanics article on the RG250 Gamma I realise that I might have been a bit harsh on John Nutting as he admits that Suzuki didn't want him to ride it on the road and that he'd been unable to do any performance tests at MIRA 'cos the LH alloy end can had fallen off the bike while being trailered there!!!!

On the double page spread in the WB? article I've wondered why they removed the alloy can for the picture...now I know, nearly 25 years later!
garye345

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats a tidy rg fella Smile them wheels are well tasty......hhhmmm got me thinking Confused ,surprised about the bhp and topspeed,always thought they were loads faster than the 125,whats the best a 125rg does?sure some folk i knew had 100 outta them,still it aint about the speed Very Happy
harvey

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Mk111's Reply with quote

Just found your build thought i was the only one,This is mine nearly standard just fit some Swarbrick cans sounds better.

This is my YammaGamma,

Best way to describe is work in progress altough riding her each day for work.

This is my spare one now in bits but was all up and running.

Going to rebuild the Yammagamma, i could do with some parts mainly panels do you have anything, i have some parts but always on the look out.

Cheers
Harvey
Crofty
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks garye345, the positive comments are a real spur to keep at it. Its been a year so far, since I bought it, and prob another year til the end, but its nice after all this time to start putting it back together, and seeing all those boxes and trays that bites were stored in, emptying, as yet more bits are fitted where they belong Nice feeling. Will start on the engine soon, gotta save some cash so it spends the shortest amount of time in bits. New rings and bearings, and a new output shaft for the gearbox are required. All cases covers barrels and head are to be powder coated.

Kickstart

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garye345 wrote:
always thought they were loads faster than the 125,whats the best a 125rg does?sure some folk i knew had 100 outta them,still it aint about the speed Very Happy

That is the wonder of inaccurate speedos. Restricted the 125 was meant to do 80

All the best

Keith
Crofty
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Mk111's Reply with quote

harvey wrote:
Just found your build thought i was the only one,This is mine nearly standard just fit some Swarbrick cans sounds better.

This is my YammaGamma,

Best way to describe is work in progress altough riding her each day for work.

This is my spare one now in bits but was all up and running.

Going to rebuild the Yammagamma, i could do with some parts mainly panels do you have anything, i have some parts but always on the look out.

Cheers
Harvey

The Yammagamma on ebay now? Surprised

Crofty
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the latest pic.....things not moving as quick as I'd like, but I'm not earning money as fast as I'd like, either!
Fairing brackets, indicators,headlight and clocks fitted, but headlight will have to come out again to correctly route all the wiring....

rg250 screamer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks stunning i cant wait to see it when its finished, will look better than new no doubt! im blown away by your attention to detail though! those padock stand brackets are amazing!
Crofty
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks screamer, I've just been trial fitting the fairing, and am disappointed with the fit now, I spent hours and hours tweaking and adjusting the brackets so it all fitted as it should, now its powder coated, its not going together like it did. Mklll 250's are notorious for stress cracks in the top fairing, so I was trying to ease that. It all needs pulling into place to fit, putting a strain on the plastic, so while its better than it was when i first got it, its not great....I'll see what tweaking I can do without damaging tho powder coat....

rg250 screamer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can relate to that! im glad some one besides me is having trouble!! mine was owned by and old man its entire life yet it still has those cracks! my belly pan has had it! thanks for those website links too iv managed to get everything i needed and more! i was dreading this rebuild! unfortunately if you dont own a blade or a gsxr my local bike shops just arent interested in helping you!! Evil or Very Mad
aden
Crofty
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feeling much better about it now, I had 2 sets of lower baracket supports coated, (the ones the hold the indicators and the fairing..) just in case...trial fitted the top fairing and MUCH better....

Get the engine sorted, then bodywork off to paint shop.....

walter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bike looks great, mine won't look that good when its finished. Nice looking Walter Wolf single seat unit. I've run into the same problem as you, cash. I've got just about all the bits I need but I now need to get the crank case split and the crank rebuilt, got all the parts except the crank pin thats integral with the web. I'm now looking for a place I can trust to do the work.

Was it easy to extract the old bearings from the swing arm / cushion lever? Its a job I'm not looking forward to.
Crofty
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Walt.
Money being a key thing, Stan Stephens prices quoted seem reasonable, if he charges the prices he quotes on his web site, and his reputation and experience means you should be sure of a good job

http://www.stanstephens.com/street.htm

Those prices are PLUS vat, but how much is peace of mind that the job is right 1st time.

Crofty
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: DEATH CAUSES REBUILD DELAY Reply with quote

Well, had a few bits from Robinsons, so went to the garage to have a tinker (with the bike of course...), opens the door and STREWTH, what a stink, I carried on regardless but the smell was too strong, something had died, I spent an hour, and carefully explored the nooks and crannies in search of the decaying corpse, I eventually found Micky here, smelling a little bit second hand....

RIP Mr. Mouse

I was trying to tidy up the wiring behind the headlight, using the original Suzuki set up book, bought new rubber boots to cover all the connector plugs, this is as neat as I can get it, not too bad when you think how many plugs and connectors there are there.....quite pleased with it.

Having spent so much time looking for the Stinky Mouse, its about all I got done!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Suzuki All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: