Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

TZR250 3xv 91-92 SP( Clutch plates and Friction)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RVT2002

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: TZR250 3xv 91-92 SP( Clutch plates and Friction) Reply with quote

Most impt. thing to ask first is, is the parts still available? Anyone know how much it cost for a set? Wink
Wb

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are still available from Yamaha, but are sold individually, not as a kit. They are not too expensive (about £7.00 each for the main friction plates if I remember correctly). The notched plate which has the mounting rubbers is about double the price iof the other friction plates though (re-use the old damping rubbers if they are OK. Springs are very cheap so are well worth replacing at the same time. Steel plates will usually be fine to re-use so long as they are not warped. Just clean them up with some emery paper before refitting. It's a very easy job on teh dry clutch bike.
RVT2002

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of them are toast. I just opened up my sp that i bought from japan, man everything in there is toast. Plate are all warped and burned up. You can see discoloring on it. I should have pics tom. and post it. I think i might need a new crank or maybe replace the 3 bearings and the seals Sad
RVT2002

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about barnett clutch. Do they sell one for 3xv?
RVT2002

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this right ? $ 194 for the whole thing? I just look up at the manual and went to RSC for qoute and here what i got. Im not sure what i can salvage from it but the looks on it when i removed everthing is junk. Confused

3xv-16324-10 4 pcs $ 15.60 = 62.4
3xv-16321-20 1 pcs $ 25.70 =25.70
3xv-16178-10 4 pcs $ 3.10 =12.40
3xv-16321-40 4 pcs $ 25.70 =62.40
3xv-16324-20 2 pcs $ 15.60 =31.20
Total =$194.10 Shocked
Wb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds about right. I only replaced the fibre plates and springs myself and it came to about 100 US I'd think. I expected it to be more really.

So long as the steel plates are not warped, they'd be fine to re-use. The discolouration isn't a problem so long as they are still flat. They would benefit from a little sanding though if they are staright - and therefore re-useable. As I said, the first fibre plate (with the damping rubbers) is twice the price of the others - and it doesn't come with the damping rubbers either so either re-use the ones you have or you'll need to order those seperately too).

I'm not aware of any aftermarket plates for the SP clutch I'm afraid - and they are different to TZ plates too...

If the crank and cyls are toast too then rerally the cost of the clutch bits is the least of your worries... Wink

Last edited by Wb on Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
RVT2002

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the rubber damper can be saved but the plates and fiber not sure to re-used it. As for the crank i think it needs the 3 bearing to replace? when i move sideways(left to right when holding it) theres a play in it. The rods dont have when you pull it up & down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Yamaha All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: