Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

3MA information

View previous topic :: View next topic  
reverse cylinder jim

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: 3MA information Reply with quote

Hi all, i wondered if anyone can help me regarding the different looms/cdi's that were fitted to each generation 3MA?
I have a 3ma 00 and was told that the later models had a better loom/cdi/ignition curve that made the later bikes run alot smoother, is this correct?
Ive a complete loom etc off a 3ma 01 which has alot more electrical components than my 00 loom, is it worth fitting or have i been told a load of rubbish?

Thanks
James.
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 3MA-4 has an 'extra' black box mounted underneath the clocks that not all models have. I don't know if it's an SP thing or if all the later bikes are like this. I also don't know what it does ! It looks like the unit that's under the tank but I can't remember what the serial numbers are on mine. Is this the "lot more electrical components" you meant ?

Someone with better knowlege than me (hello Warwick !) will no doubt be along to tell you soon. The info might be on the old TZR Forum - hopefully it'll get reloaded into the new one.

Box just visible bottom left of this pic :

Wb

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a bit of misinformation/confusion about the ignition systems on the 3MA. I don't think you would gain any advantage using a later loom (and you'd need both CDi and PV controller boxes too - as well as to make other detail cvhanges to connectors and so forth).

For performance, the 3MA1 and 3MA4 are really the boys to have as they have the sportiest oem porting and biggest stock carbs (the 3MA-4 SP having the most inherent potential of them all course), but you will need a decent set of pipes and to set up the carburation to suit etc. But you should be able to see 60bhp easily on a 3MA1 with either the -00 or 01 box (the stuiff about the -00 box being 'restricted' and the -01 box being 'full power' is an urban myth as far as I can tell).

If yours is stock and has the -00 box then it is probably one of the too-leanly-jetted-from-the-factory first production run. I'd be very inclined to see what size main jets are in there. If it still has the early run 150s, I'd have those out straight away and jet it a bit richer even with standard pipes etc if it'll happily run bigger mains. Somewhere in the region of 180 to 210 should see you right, but you'll need to set it up on the main jet by a series of plug chops really.

Fitting some decent pipes though would really revolutionise it. But you need to set the carburation up with care or she will go pop in very short order - start very rich on the mains (about 400 or so and work down according to chopped plug colour). With the carburation properly sorted they can be fabulously reliable, every-day flexible and quick enough to seriously embarrass big 4 strokes on the track too if that's your thing. Well worth making the effort to uncork it I'd say.

Cheers

Wb
reverse cylinder jim

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou both for your replies. Am i correct in thinking my early bike is running 32mm carbs and that the 01 models ran 34mm?

Ive got the full loom and all boxes and generator off the newer model as ive just bought another job lot of spares i got last week and thought it might have been a quick upgrade.

On my 3ma ive already upped my jetting to 210 mains and have removed the snorkels from the airbox so doesnt go too badly, a set of pipes would be brilliant but hard to come by Crying or Very sad
Thanks
James.
Wb

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, only the 3MA4 (SP) had the 34mm carbs. 3MA1 had the 32s and the the 3MA3 &5 had smaller 30mm carbs and more conservative porting (among other differences)

Pipes are the main restriction (on the 3MA-1 in any case. I've no experince of teh other models). Electronically all you really need to do is modify the speedo to overcome the 180kph restriction (or simply run an MPH converter on the speedo cable Wink).

Martin77 (forum member) can occasionally be co-erced into making a set of 3MA pipes. He made the first set for mine. Bit of jetting and you should get something like this:

They sound utterly beatiful too!

Jim Lomas also does some nice 3MA pipes in stainless or mild steel, but I've not tried them myself.
reverse cylinder jim

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the info Wb, seen a set of Lomas pipes on Johns 3ma (think he is/was on the old tzr forum) before and look very nice.
Wonder if Martin77 would consider making a set of his pipes for me?

Nice picture also, Cadwell is a superb place to ride isnt it.
Thanks
James.
martin77

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim....

Pipes are a bit akward as I have to ask Wb to ride down on his 3MA so I can use it as a jig for welding on the mounts etc... and it'a a 4hr round trip there and back (or a bit less if you don't stop for chips along the way). But I do have a half finished set here, so sometime it may be possible to knock up a set for you if you were interested.

You will have to rejet the carbs though...and that's not always an easy job on 3MA's... the potential for melting pistons is a real one..so don't blame me if you do blow it up OK?

Get it right though, and yep..they sound like nothing else (apart from a TZ of course)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQKeVIebQVo

I'll PM you some details...
SP_BOTT

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin, can you let me know how much a set of your pipes would be as well please??
Thanks, Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Yamaha All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: