Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

TZR250SP Reverse Cylinder
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before, with the wrong yokes, super-wide flat bars and the clocks bodged on with an ally mounting plate :

After :

Haven't bothered trying to make those new parts look nice, the whole bike needs doing really and that will be soon I hope :

arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks better, what does the Mrs think? Cool
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arlurt wrote:
That looks better, what does the Mrs think? Cool

She thinks it looks much nicer now. She's not ridden it yet though. But then she's only done about 5 miles total on it in the old configuration...
2TV owner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Strokerboy, just an update about my sdr power problems. I did some checking the other day and dug out my old 350ypvs haynes manual. I studied the diagram for the bike i had (1985 N1) and all the wiring seemed to be the same on that model as is on the SDR (YPVS bits anyway). In the haynes there is a decent section on how to test the YPVS system.

Anyway i got stuck in with the voltmeter and checked all the wiring and connections, found a loose coil wire (sound familiar!) I crimped on a new terminal but that made no difference. Crying or Very sad

Turned my attention to the servo motor, although it works ie does its sweep when the ignition is turned on i wasn't convinced. In the haynes it tells you to check the resistance of the potemtiometers which should be 7.5K ohms +or- 30%at 20 deg c. Checked all three wires and got readings much lower than even the lowest tolerance. So with this in mind i thought the YPVS ecu is powering the servo, the servo should then tell the YPVS ecu where it is via the potentiometers, as the potemtiometers are giving the wrong info the YPVS ecu can't accurately position the servo and hence it starts to flutter as it's constantly trying to correct it's position.

This i think is why if i ride on the flat or downhill the bike goes like stink but when the bike sees a hill it's gutless because to power valve goes to fully open when you take it off idle.

If you still get chance to check what yours does when you turn ign on and then waht it does when you start it that will just confirm it. Very Happy

So the servo on my bike has the number 1KT stamped on it which i believe is a TZR code. I can get a 350 YPVS servo that is a 5 wire servo, will this work on my bike? I know some of the later DTR TZR125's had a 3wire sytem on that are not compatible but if anyone can confirm the 350 route that would be good. I know the 350 has a different plug but all the wire colours are the same between the two and being an auto electrician swapping a plug should just about be in my remit! Idea
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not had chance yet Justin, got the TZR back last night and also had to fettle the 3 Gags ready for this weekend. Definitely going to work on the SDR this weekend though so will let you know.
2TV owner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Very Happy
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you had chance to have a ride out on the 3MA in the decent weather we had yesterday evening? Is it all systems go for Cadwell or will you be moving it to the back of the garage while you prepare the advent?
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arlurt wrote:
Have you had chance to have a ride out on the 3MA in the decent weather we had yesterday evening?

Decent weather ? Shocked Hailstones 1/2" in diameter and an actual river running down the middle of our street ? I popped out to the takeaway in the car and that was terrifying enough.

Sunny this morning though. Did 20kms before it went pop. First person to find the ditch that I left it in can have it...

maccas

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean it went pop tim?

Has it blown up? I hope it hasn't

Dan
maccas

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the mechanic guy you took it to change the main jets or anything like that?

Dan
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing Si did has made it worse, it starts easier and ticks over better. Or did anyway. Certainly not blaming him. He just checked it all over, cleaned/lubed everything and gave it back. Carbs were stripped and ultrasonically cleaned but nothing was changed.

It felt just the same to ride as the last 2 times I took it out, kinda flat and a bit harsh. Warmed it up, it revved ok but just something lacking somehow.

Then there was a tinkle noise and it went even flatter. Clutch in, pull over. Still running, sounded ok. Limped home very gently with no more noises.

Think it's done a ring, or maybe worse. Top-end strip to see what the deal is. It ain't going to Cadwell though. Crying or Very sad
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sorry to hear it's sick, hope it's nothing too serious. Sad
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maccas wrote:
Tim,

If you were thinking of selling would you be able to pm me a figure you had in mind please? It may well be out of my price range but i'd be interested to know!

Maccas

It's got considerably cheaper today Dan... Rolling Eyes
maccas

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also hope its nothing serious too mate! I have sat here doing nothing 3 original yamaha 3ma pistons. They are all used but like brand new. If you need 1 or 2 let me know, my 3ma isn't going to get done anytime soon and I wanted to put flat top pistons in it anyway. I might have a low mileage set of rings too. I know its false economy to put used bits in but it might help you get it running right then get it rebuilt later.

Tim do you have the VAJ system still plugged in and operational?

I'd love a 3ma SP but as much as I wish i could afford it right now I just can't. I'm sure you would regret selling it. Once its running proper I'm sure you will want to keep it.

Let me know if I can help with bits.

Dan
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dan. Yes, the air-jet stuff is all wired in and working as far as I know.

I actually dumped it at my local bike shop rather than risk riding a few miles further home on it. They're gonna pull the top-end and let me know how bad it is. They know me and my bikes well and they're into the older stuff - they had a poorly TDR and an H1 in last week. Depending on what they find, I'll either ask 'em to fix it or get it back here and do it myself. Won't be turning it round as quickly as you manage stuff though ! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Yamaha All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: