Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

My 3MA1

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SP_BOTT

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: My 3MA1 Reply with quote

Hi all, just about finished this, not gone for anything silly, just a quick tidy up as I plan to use it a bit this year, had it 2/3 years and been stuck in the garage ever since. been posted on another forum already (so as not to bore you again Smile)

started out like this

Found a seized piston, both barrels had had a cast liner pressed into them, both on different oversizes

Engine out

Pressure wahed in the garden, none of this expensive vapour blasting Smile

To cut a long story short, lots of painting polishing etc etc, carbs were an absolut mess, everything covered in dirt and c##p.

#

Have started it on replated barrels and new pistons, and then found the petrol tank has rusted through, just got to complete the bodywork and now attempting to fit a 4DL plastic tank. still not ridden it yet, but hopefully sometime this year ???????

Last edited by SP_BOTT on Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
bobbyboy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fabulous job Thumbs Up

Good to see a restoration done on a budget, rather than throwing loads of money at it.

Would love a 3ma in original condition, but still no luck finding one. Rolling Eyes
BenR

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic project mate! Very Happy I'd love a 3MA but alas no money & the wolf needs fixing. Sad
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice indeed. Wanna do the same with mine ? Wink
Howie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a top job SP, nice to see bikes retored at home Cool

Did you paint the wheels? If so what did you use?

Howie
SP_BOTT

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all, got tons of pics but put a lot of them up on the TZR forum, wheels were stove enamelled by a local guy I thought I'd try out. There are 3 TZR's on fleabay now, enough for everyone Smile

Now trying to fit a 4DL tank as the original has rotted through, going ok so far but trying to change the fuel taps for something larger, as I am totally paranoid about this (for probably no reason, as even an R1 etc only has a 5mm tap, I'm guessing)

Been having a go myself at repairing the fairings, as they were wired together as they have several chunks missing, and very large cracks in, (got the idea off Strokerboy's site)
also need to locate a petrol cap and then it's MOT time,
BenR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More pics FTW. Wink
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SP_BOTT wrote:
Been having a go myself at repairing the fairings, as they were wired together as they have several chunks missing, and very large cracks in, (got the idea off Strokerboy's site)

Cool, let us know how you get on. Still something I've not yet tried myself, but a fellow KR owner has had success using very basic tools and I published his words and pics HERE.
twosmoke

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job. I really like the reverse cylinder model and this is the best colour scheme as well.
SP_BOTT

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been having a go at the fairings as they are quite bad as mentioned, thought 'I've got nothing to loose' so out came the soldering iron and a few coathangers and cable ties Smile

I had already read the link on Strokerboy's site and decided to give it a go myself (I have two spare fairing panels now if it all went wrong)

A few pics of what I had to start with

As you can see a huge split from a crash, a big chunk missing and some nice wired repairs, all these cut out and thrown away, slowly started to repair the cracks, working from the inside of the fairing first.

Then just got on with filling the missing part, and slowly building up the layers, the smokes a bit potent, so suggest an outside area or a fan/blower etc in future.

You can even see the shape of the coathanger in some of the pics, it was a good profile for the front end of the fairing, but just had to guess as it was missing on both sides,

I have just roughly cleaned it all up with a belt sander, but I did have to make a new support bracket up, I drilled the bits I repaired and pop-riveted it back on, epecting it to shatter and snap off again, but it held up ok.

Now who's got a nice RC30 fairing they want repaired Smile Give it a go it's very satisfying in the end Smile Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Yamaha All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: