Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

RG250 progress

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RGRobby
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: RG250 progress Reply with quote

At last I've been able to make some much needed progress now the really cold weather has gone for a while. The engine has had the top end refreshed, everything serviced and a good clean down and repaint, which I did in the garage on a workmate bench. The bike has only done 4000 miles and was running perfectly before I started to restore it, so I'm thinking 'if it aint broke don't fix it'. I'd forgotten what a tight fit the engine is in the frame and it was very tight getting it back in complete, without touching any new paintwork I had my fingers between the engine and frame for what felt like ages before my mate could get the holes lined up and the back spindle pushed though! that hurt!
That was the tricky bit done, then on went the expansion chambers -really looking like a bike now. Next to go on were cables and bits and bob's then the wiring harness which I've just finished cleaning, repairing any poor connections and replacing all the insulation tape. The harness is half on now as I'm starting from the back connecting as I go, can't wait to get everything connected up ,battery on and see the lights etc working. I feel like the end is now in sight. Here are a few photos of the bike progressing.
Rob.http://www.flickr.com/photos/rgrobby/[/img]
Bitacticus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodmorning Rob,

What a great job you have done Very Happy

Been looking at the pics and its going to be head turner when you take it out.

Wish i was as far as you are

Take care when you are going to fit the fairing.

Erik
wolfman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob
Bikes looking really good and well on the way to getting it up and running.
Are You going to get it running and all finished before fitting bodywork then send the whole bike away for painting? Have you got the carbs on yet and if so what sort of a job is it? I'm not looking forward to re-fitting my carbs the rubbers seem rock hard i suppose a hairdryer session before fitting will help any tips would be appreciated.
Carry on the good work and keep us posted on progress.
RGRobby
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the nice comments guys, really appreciated. Very Happy
Yes, my intension is to get everything back together set up and running then loosely fit all the bodywork to the bike, then Dream Machine will collect the whole bike, repaint it and fit all panels correctly before it's delivered back to me. Well that's the plan anyway.......
I'm going to finish installing the wiring now then move onto fitting the carbs, so Charlie, I'll let you know what sort of a job it is! It's getting crowded in there so I assume it will be one of those jobs not to rush, so I think a large beer and some 'Floyd' on the stereo might be called for! I was lucky and found a brand new pair of matched carbs a while ago so I'm hoping it will be fairly straightforward to fit them in . If your carb rubbers are a bit hard clean them with degreaser/gunk then clean off with hot soapy water and give 'em a bit of a soak in the hot water to soften them up.
Cheers, Rob.
Crofty
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even with hard carb rubbers, fitting the carbs aint so tricky, (so long as the 3 airbox bolts are removed) however, the link pipe and clips that join the two carbs together is fiddly, but nothing worse than that, room between the carbs is limited, and getting the clips on may make you swear, but if like me, they have to be fitted and removed a few times, you soon get the knack! My tip is to get it running on a remote fuel tank using either premix or a remote oil tank, Fitting and removing the tank, with fuel in, is a pain because of the routing of the 3 pipes on the fuel tap, and its location on the frame....if it was on the tank, things would be sooooo much easier lol
The bike is looking pretty special Bobby, did you have to drill the right handle bar to get the switch on? The G and H had different switches, with a locating dowel in different places, I bought an H switch, early in my build, and it didnt fit my bar. The reason I ask, is it looks like the left switch is off a G model, maybe its that one you've changed?

http://www.rg250.co.uk
RGRobby
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the comments. I'm hoping the carbs go on without too much trouble.
Can you fit them as a pair / joined together or do they have to go in individually?
Not sure about the handlebar switches, I bought them as a pair for a fiver each which after a quick clean turned out to be a real bargin! They both fitted on nicely with no problems or drilling required but they are different to the ones that came off the bike. They never seemed to quite look right to me when I bought the bike. Maybe someone changed the handlebars at some point in it's chequered past? who knows.
Regards, Rob.
Crofty
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bobby, I did try fiting the carbs as a pair, but all the wriggling and pushing you need to do, just meant they came apart, so fitting them individually was the way I did it. It'll be fine. Cant wait til RG2G0's get a show stand all to themselves! Lol

http://www.rg250.co.uk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Suzuki All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: