Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

AR 80 Project
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic thread !!

Loving the AR build pics and engineering to get over the problems.
Top man Very Happy
yamfan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hope you lads are all out enjoying the sunshine we are getting.

I was slightly disappointed to realise that the insurance is end of July to renew, so a longer wait than I realized at the time.

The 6v battery I got was a dud, it rattled when I unpacked it, I decided to try it anyway with acid but it was dead.
The ebay seller sent me a new one without quibble and didnt care about sending back the dud - restores you faith in humanity.

So now I have electricity on demand with the replacement battery.

I took off the cowl to replace the blown headlight bulb and just got it back on when the postman arrived in his little van with a packet from China.
I don't think he brought it all the way, but the time it took maybe he did?Laughing

It was a cheap (2 Euro posted) front brake light switch - oh balls, time to take the cowl off again.......

Looked at the switch and it took me a moment to figure out that you have to take the brake lever off and the switch goes in the wires first direction.

So the electrics which were always an AR problem back in my youth are all now fully working - Yay well almost the indicators did not like flashing. I tried a couple of spare 6v flasher units and it was the same, so I ordered a new one and now they flash away merrily - all working.

I can't remember if I mentioned the new horn, again a 6v all the way from China - works fine and is cheap and cheerful.

More news soon:!:
yamfan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I will be insured on the little AR in a week or two and I am really looking forward to it, the teenage excitement returning.

The AR80 that my brother and later on my sister owned resurfaced when I was looking for the exhaust. It is the very bike I got the exhaust from.

Unfortunately it has spent the last 20 years uncovered in a back garden and what was left of it had received a new paint job - it's in a bad way

It's worse than it looks in the pictures and thats whats left. Oil cap gone and oil tank full of moss.

This has now joined my fleet. The timing is bad, I am skint and do I really need two AR80's? But this is the actual bike from way back then - so I couldn't let it be skipped or have it's wheels sold.

It held up better than expected - it smelled of dog pi** and is covered in a 5mm thick layer of cobweb - absolutely disgusting condition.

It turns over fine Shocked notice the quality welding on the kickstart and the bicycle front axle as the rear engine mounting bolt.

As soon as the photos were taken I stripped it down so it could be sorted out.

That KE100 i got last year came with a load of AR spares, many of them I will eventually need for the white one, so I straightened and refinished the parts I had before the bike even arrived in my garage.

Some nice black panels and a tank came up for sale - so with the white one in mind it made it a easy decision to get them. I get nice paint for the black bike and the old panels go to the white bike - which will get a paint job sometime. Win WIn as far as I see it - my Wife might see things differently though Laughing
Its going to be one for the back burner for now - but I plan to paint the wheels and frame while the good weather is here.

The Black bike is starting to look nice now, I have painted the exhaust and fitted the fresher panels. The tank had a small dent that I managed to do a 90% repair on. There was a very small bit of light rust on the inside. I used the POR 15 chemicals to sort that, then decided to put the POR paint in also as it was prepared anyway. Four days drying time for the paint now.

I know I have a thing for clean tanks, I think it is from the endless ball ache on the TS 185 years ago - the tank was a rusty one off a KE 175 and I learned the hard way that no petrol filter will filter the fine rust particles out of fuel. So now I am very fond of POR 15. The last time I need to buy a kit I got the car kit and if you are a tight wad you can get three or four bike tanks done with it.
DSBBadmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame you've stripped it, that would have looked great centre-stage on our stand at Stafford Show. Seriously. Shaun's AP50 had grown men in tears a couple of years ago, your AR would have had an even better reaction.
yamfan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see where you are going, but the smell would probably keep everyone away.

Patina like this is hard to find, very valuable to the right person. Very Happy
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSBBadmin wrote:
......Shaun's AP50 had grown men in tears a couple of years ago, your AR would have had an even better reaction.

Must admit.. I was shocked by the offers to buy it.. great show Thumbs Up
yamfan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top-shaggy wrote:

Must admit.. I was shocked by the offers to buy it.. great show Thumbs Up

Maybe I should send it over after all Laughing

The new tank I got had a dent in the back part, just above the seat.

I have done some paintless dent removal before, never got it perfect but happy enough with the results. So I gave it a bash, made up my little hammer to knock it out from the inside. It was made in light wire first to get the shape needed. The business end is domed so it wouldn't crack the paint on the outside. So after a couple of sessions I got it good enough, there is a shimmer where once there was a nasty dent - so happy days.

The tool with the old tank -- tap tap

The smaller ARs have a little metal plate in front of the air intake. This has foam around the outer edge to seal against the underside of the tank. It's to help the airbox have a still air intake.
Well the foam was long gone so I glued a bit of carpet underlay in place to do the same job.

The new tank and panels finally fitted. The panels are AR 50, but two tiny pieces or red tape and two tiny pieces of white tape and a 5 becomes an 8. You would need to be two feet away to notice it.

Looking nice now, if I do say so myself. The new panels and tank transform it.

Still need to get the uni-track stickers for the swing arm and that's it more or less completed - I think.

Only a few more sleeps until the insurance kicks in! My KR1-s going on cover for the first time too, but I am looking forward to the AR most Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Kawasaki All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: